The application deadline for the Taiko Center of the Pacific is Wednesday, May 2.
The Fellowship is a one-year scholarship to study traditional and contemporary taiko in Honolulu, Hawaii. ?The 2018-2019 Fellowship begins summer 2018 (start date flexible). ?Applications are due May 2 each year.
- $250 one-time cash stipend. Opportunity to participate in any regular TCP class. Placement in the TCP Performing Ensemble Trainee Program with the opportunity to become a performing member of the Honolulu ensemble.
- Opportunities to study hogaku hayashi, matsuri bayashi, lion dance, and fue through discounted private lessons with Kenny Endo.
- Possible part-time taiko teaching assistant position in the summer.
- Possible part-time employment as an administrative and/or teaching staff member.
- A large and close-knit taiko community.
- Opportunities to travel and perform on neighbor islands.
- Access to quality higher education opportunities at the University of Hawaii at Manoa, Kapiolani Community College, Chaminade University, and Hawaii Pacific University.
- Great weather! Great food! Great beaches!
- Fellowship recipients must be between 18-35 years old.
- Minimum of 3 years taiko experience, or an equivalent?combination of experience in taiko and other performing?arts.
- Applicants must submit, by mail or online: an application form, 10-15?minute audition videotape (DVD or YouTube), and an application essay. Finalists may be interviewed via telephone by members of TCP Performing Ensemble.
- One-year commitment required with possibility for renewal. Approximately 10-15 hours/week in practice, teaching and administrative assistance.
Who should apply?
- Members of youth taiko groups who are interested in pursuing their undergraduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Members of collegiate taiko groups who are interested in pursuing graduate degrees in Hawaii.
- Any other member of the taiko community interested in pursuing this unique opportunity.
For more information, visit the TCP Fellowship website at?https://taikoarts.com/fellowship/.